How do I Apply for Graduation?
Applying for graduation is a two-step process, both of which must be completed in order for a student to graduate. Be sure to understand the difference between “walking in commencement” and “graduating.” Walking in commencement does not mean that a student has obtained his or her degree. The degree is not conferred and a student does not actually graduate until all requirements for the degree have been met. Students who graduate in December will be invited back to walk in the following May commencement ceremony.
Step 1: Submit degree application to Dean’s Office
In order to graduate from The University of Mississippi, every student must submit a degree application to his or her Dean. Each school has a different process and different deadlines for submitting the degree application. School of Applied Sciences students must submit their Letter of Intent to Graduate online the semester prior to the student’s final semester.
- In order to graduate and participate in commencement you MUST complete an application form from one of the links below.
- If you will be completing ALL of your course work (including internship) by December 2020 (fall), please follow the link for the December application. (If you are completing your internship or any other course work over the spring or summer, please see the next statement.)
- If you will be completing ALL of your course work (including internship) by May 2021 (spring), please select the “May 2021” as your graduation term. (If you are completing your internship or any other course work over the summer, please see the next statement.)
- If you will be completing ALL of your course work (including internship) by August Intersession 2021, please select “August 2021” as your graduation term. You will be allowed to walk in the May commencement, but will not receive your diploma until after the summer terms have ended. (If you are completing your internship or any other course work in the fall, do not complete this form).
- We will not process these applications until after Winter Session grades have posted.We will only contact you if you are not on track to complete in the term you specified.
- If you have submitted a letter of intent previously, either online or a paper application, please do not submit another.
After submitting your Letter of Intent to Graduate, the Office of the Dean will send you an e-mail if there is an issue(s) with your application. We encourage you to check your degree audit and follow up with your advisor to ensure you are on track to graduate.
Step 2: Submit On-Line Diploma Application to Office of the Registrar
Approximately two weeks before they are due, you will receive an e-mail (which automatically goes to your UM e-mail account unless you have had your e-mail forwarded to another account through the Help Desk) notifying you that it is time to submit your on-line Diploma Application. The e-mail contains a link to the web site where you will need to go to complete this form. When you complete the Diploma Application on-line, it goes to the Office of the Registrar where the list of graduates is compiled and diplomas are printed upon completion of your degree. If you do not complete this form, you will not graduate since the Office of the Registrar will not even know that you are a candidate for graduation.