Susan Shea Receives Linda Chitwood Student Merit Award
Legal Studies undergraduate Susan Shea was awarded the Linda Chitwood Student Merit Award at the 2015 Applied Sciences Career Fair. The only school-wide undergraduate award given by Applied Sciences, the merit award carries a $1,000 scholarship.
Susan Shea is a senior Criminal Justice major with a minor in Intelligence and Security Studies. A number of her accomplishments and honors include the Golden Key National Honor Society, a Who’s Who Student in American Colleges & Universities, and a member of the Alpha Phi Sigma Criminal Justice Honor Society. She currently has a 3.64 GPA at the University of Mississippi.
Dr. David McElreath, professor of Legal Studies, nominated Shea for the award. McElreath recognized the student’s successes inside and outside of campus.
“Ms. Shea shows a tremendous amount of initiative in all her endeavors,” McElreath wrote. “She has always demonstrated the highest levels of judgment and decision-making.”
Susan Shea joins these past Linda Chitwood Student Merit Award winners:
- 2008-09: David Alm, Criminal Justice
- 2009-10: Blair Harris, Dietetics and Nutrition
- 2010-11: Elizabeth Phillips, Communication Sciences & Disorders
- 2011-12: Rebecca McNeill, Health, Exercise Sciences, and Recreation Management
- 2012-13: Marco Italia, Health, Exercise Sciences, and Recreation Management
- 2013-14: Haley Berich, Nutrition and Hospitality Management